Monday, September 5, 2011

Spoons: Mini Passionfruit Meringue Pies


Passionfruit is one of my all time favourite fruits, favourite anythings really. So when my mum came home from my great aunties with a large shopping bag full of them I was in heaven, heaven until I realised that my great uncle has picked them before they were ripe, so there was still a couple of weeks to wait. So this weekend we found that almost all of the passionfruits were ripe and we now had an overabundance of them sitting in my kitchen, I'm talking like 30 or 35 passionfruits. 

Naturally my instinct was hmmm what can I make with these, having made some lemon sorbet the night before (I'll post the recipe later) passionfruit sorbet was definately on the menu. However I wanted to make something else as well hence enter the Mini Passionfruit Meringue Pies. This recipe is adapted from a nestle advertisement recipe cards and is just one of the yummiest things ever.

             

What you'll need:
  • 3/4 cup of sweetened Condensed milk (I try to look after my hips and use light condensed milk
  • 1/4 cup of passionfruit pulp (or just over)
  • 2 eggs, seperated
  • Mini pastry cases (I'm not gonna lie I bought them instead of making them
  • 1/3 cup of caster sugar



Now you should do this:
1. Preheat your oven to about 180°C. You know how your oven works so you can change this if you need too. 

2. Mix your condensed milk, passionfruit pulp and egg yolks together in a bowl. Make sure to mix well at this stage and set aside for later. 

3. To make the meringue you need to beat the egg-whites until they form stiff peaks, once this occurs you can gradually beat in the sugar until it is all dissolved and the mixture looks thick and fluffy and lovely, kinda like clouds oh and that picture below. 


4. now that you have all parts of the pie prepared, (oh and if your a little less lazy than me you should have already had your pastry cases made) firstly spoon the passion fruit filling equally into the cases first, followed by the meringue mixture on top. It's a good idea for the meringue to use a little scraper to help you 'sculpt'...sculpt?... yepp lets go with sculpt, sculpt your meringue.

5. Bake for about 10 or 12 minutes or until your oven makes those cute meringue sculptures (yes sculptures) light and golden

6. Enjoy!!! 

7. Confess to your blog that you ate all the pies before you thought of taking a photo to show people. Sorry they were just too yummy!! 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I read each and every one and they make me so happy. x